Slow cooked, high protein, full flavour
Meals to come home to
You may not know but our gym team are secret foodies… they’re always on the lookout for the latest high protein, lean, natural options. In the summer we shared some of their favourite lunches. This time of the year however the salads have been replaced with heart-warming soups and curries. We quizzed them on the best approach to create high protein, lean, winter dishes.
Slow cooking is a popular choice for our busy gym team. If like them training is a priority after work but you don’t want to compromise on good food check out the recipes below:
Slow Bean Soup
Full of warming produce, this super simple vegan soup scores high on the protein scale, so it will keep you satisfied as well as fueled.
- Roughly chop the veg and crush the garlic
- Gently fry the onion, celery and garlic, tip them into the slow cooker along with all the other ingredients except the rice or pasta; leave this until the morning.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- If you prefer a smooth soup, simply blitz it with a hand-blender before you add in the rice or pasta.
- Add the pasta or rice for the last 20 minutes or so.
- Add as much boiled water as you want to get your preferred consistency and adjust seasoning at the end, if required.
Coconut curried beef
This curry is a firm favourite of Tina’s. It’s simple to prepare , tastes fantastic and delivers a big energy kick after a training session.
If you like your curries hot, stir in some fresh red chopped chilli before serving.
- The night before, cut the beef into chunks and fry, in batches, until well browned. Set aside.
- In the same pan, fry onion and garlic for a couple of minutes and then add to meat. Keep this somewhere cool.
- In the morning, transfer to the slow cooker and stir in coconut milk, beef stock, red curry paste, lime juice, fish sauce and brown sugar and quartered potatoes.
- Turn slow cooker on to low, cover and cook for 7 hrs.
- Stir spinach and green beans into the slow cooker 20 minutes before serving.
- Stir through coriander and lime juice.
- Serve over rice.
Hearty Pasta Soup
This is a slow cook meal-in-one, which can be prepared in minutes. This recipe will feed around 6-8 people and kids will love it!
- Pre-heat the slow cooker, mix together the can of tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and add to the slow cooker.
- Next add beef stock, minced beef, garlic, parsley, basil, onion, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
- When 30 minutes are left of cook time, add in the water and pasta. Check salt and add if required. Stir to combine. Put lid back on and continue cooking for 30 minutes. Before serving add the grated cheese.